Monday, October 6, 2014

Character study (III)

The university of my dreams in Los Angeles California is U.C.L.A and entered into the medical program. My journey to this point would take dedication, hard work and joy. In the year leading up to this moment it has been hard to let go of everything that has been in my way to find what is really out there for me. The applications and the scholarships were hard to make into a sceduale with everything I have going on in my life. However I made it, receiving a letter from the school I toured a year ago with my family. It's important that I appreciate the time that I have sacrificed and relize that college is the time to explore new things and I can't wait to get started with the internship I just recieved. 

In U.C.L.A. I have flourished at my interning position at the hospital there. Every day has been different with new patients coming in all the time with completely new reasons for their appearances at the hospital. I work in the research department and today I just know something exciting is going to emerge. I walked into the building to find that I got there before my mentor. "She must be running late." I thought. As I walked through the hospital I spotted a girl who looked perfectly fine, but strapped to her bed. "What's the matter with the patient in room 365?" I asked. "We don't know all her scans are normal, but she keeps screaming in paincoughing up blood and forming stange rashes that occur every few hours. A new one with another disease of no knowledge or research. This will be an interesting case. My mentor finally arrived and we started our work day by entering room 365. We gathered information from parents who had no idea what was happening to their baby girl of 13. I could feel the dense air inside the room that made me feel nervous and sorry for the family. As the girl laid there, I could see she wasn't as "perfectly normal" as I had seen earlier on in the day. Her eyes were sunken in, her skin was quite pale and her back was blistering with a redish purple color of the intensity of the worst burn mark you have ever seen. I thought this girl needs help now! In our protective gear we collected samples of the rash, saliva and all other bodily fluids. Through weeks of cultures and tests we still were stumped by the infection going on inside this child. A couple of days latter, an alarm went off reffering to the staff that there was a problem in room 365. I rushed into the room to find the mother screaming. The infection had spread.

In weeks of isolation of the mother and daughter the girl seemed to be progressively getting, worse. I went home one night and saw on television the medical advancements of an Asian flower called the preslia. The chemicals that are diffused from the flower are highly toxic and cause huge side effects. However, the flower sparked an idea in me to do an experimental trial with the flower. Next day of work I brought up ge idea but everyone shot the brilliance down. Although I explained that the family had nothing else to lose but they remained against preslia. I just knew I couldn't give up. As break came up quickly I planned a trip to Asia without anyone knowing about my intensions. I didn't know exactly where to find the flower but n the airplane I ran into Hannah Hurd who said the new medical flower was enclosed in a facility near the hymalyan mountains. "This was going to be difficult" I thought. 

Once the plane landed I went straight to the facility where the toxic flower was being held to talk to staff members. The members were reluctant to let me have any so I slipped three flowers into my bag without anyone knowing and rushed out of the building, without causing a commotion. I stayed in Asia for multiple days figuring out the system of the cure and I found with the samples I brought it killed the infectious diease. I called my mentor to let her know but stopped when I realized I stole the flowers... I had to give it to her without anyone knowing and I did just that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment